Hey guys, guess what! I cooked an entire chicken in just 20 minutes. How, you ask?! The answer is really quite simple… the Instant Pot. I know, I know, these things are probably blowing up your news threads and Instagram feeds, and you may have even had one wrapped up underneath the tree this holiday season; but, it is for a good reason…
Are you always on the go? Are you constantly running your kids from one practice to another? Or are you are so busy that you accidentally forget to pick your kid up from school? It happens… I mean, we are all human, right? Well, by adding this kitchen gadget to your pantry repertoire, you will not only save yourself time preparing meals, but you will also enjoy the fact in knowing that you are feeding your family delicious and healthy meals.
So back to this whole chicken… Yes, the whole chicken! There are many things that I love about this recipe. First, it takes little to no time and can be prepped the night before, its delicious, and most of all, it is paleo friendly. There are no artificial sweeteners, refined sugars, and no alcohol used for braising. I sourced the honey used in this recipe from a farm that’s just a town or two over from here.
You know what the best thing about raw local honey is? Studies are now showing that by consuming one teaspoon of raw local honey a day can help with your seasonal allergies. (gasp!) It is because those tiny honeybees are gathering pollen locally from flowers and crops alike, and by you consuming it, it allows your body to build antibodies to these pollens, and therefore making your fall and/or spring sniffle-free! (double gasp)!
Okay, okay, enough typing! Let’s get cookin’!
Instant Pot Whole Honey Lemon Pepper Chicken Recipe
1 four-five pound whole chicken
1 lemon, zest and juice
3 sprigs of thyme
3 sprigs of rosemary
1/3 cup raw local honey
¼ cup + 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
2 heads of garlic
Salt and pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 cup of chicken broth
Let’s Get To It!
- Turn your instant pot to the sauté setting and add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Allow it to melt and get warm
- Season the chicken liberally with salt and pepper on both sides
- Add the chicken into the instant pot breast side down and brown the skin until nice and crispy- about 5 to 7 minutes
- While the chicken skin is crisping, mix together the honey, melted coconut oil, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and lemon zest- set aside
- Once it’s browned, removed from the instant pot
- Add the cup of chicken broth to the bottom of the pan, as well as the rack that came with it
- Return the chicken to the Instant Pot with the bread side now up
- Squeeze the lemons over the chicken and drop them into the pot.
- Add the rosemary, thyme, and heads of garlic, and pour the honey mixture over the chicken
- Turn the pot to the meat setting, put the lid on and lock ensuring the top is in the sealing position.
- Set the pot for 20 minutes and let it work it’s magic. Allow the chicken to naturally release the pressure for at least 15 minutes until the level is down.
Okay, okay! So now if you do not believe me, you have to try this one for your self. Go break out your instant pot from it’s box (read the dang directions) and get started!
Try this recipe out and use the hashtag #TheHangryDiaries – I’d love to see it!